Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bitter greens

I've always had a problem with kale. My family, good Southern cooks that they are has always served a whole lotta greens, collards, turnip, mustard, kale, cabbage, beet, whatever. I don't like kale too much. I will admit that it is decorative. Anyway, I'm trying to reproduce kale in knitting and it ain't working so far. I've been able to form basic a basic leaf shape. I'm not happy with the curly edges of the leaves. So far, the ruffle patterns don't look right. I'm using worsted weight wool and ize 8 needles. I'm guessing that in order to get the right look, I neeed to use a much finer yarn. This was supposed to be quick and easy. I've seen the lovely Norah Gaughan Beet Pattern. I want to make kale by myself, with other species to follow. Photos will come later.

On a final note, I have a fondness for the Brassicans which include broccoli, cabbages, cauliflower, kale, mustard, collards, and more. They're all related. Powerful plants.

No comments: