Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Swatching My Life Away



I'm not actually doing anything right now. I just started a new job and am freaked out about that. It is normal for me to be an overly anxious, constantly worried control freak. Really, this was described on my nursery school reports card when I was three years old. I can't get used to the fact that this job is going well. My last job had me working for someone far more controlling than I am. Normal feels strange to me.
In my knitting life, I've been doing a ton of swatches for:

1. leaf shapes for a possible Green Man.
2. a Binary scarf for a friend

The leaf knitting has been frustrating. I've used all sorts of patterns and discovered that the pretty pictures in books or on the Internet show leaves that are sewn down or viciously blocked. I want leaves that function as... freeform leaves. I'll have to come up with a compromise that takes into account the nature of knit fabric. I'm also limited by the yarn I'm willing to buy. Pure wool would be best, but I'm not spending a fortune on a palette of Autumn colors (not yet). I've already got a palette of seven worsted weight yarns and another set of pearl cotton yarns. I will probably end up getting some shaded yarns, but that feels like cheating. A basic leaf shape seems to work best, in garter stitch. There are plenty of leaves piling up outside and I feel the urge to knit my own indoor pile....

The Binary swatch shows the effect of different colors on the background fabric. Note the red that fades right into the background. It's not the original yarn. Anyway, I'm waiting for my friend to choose a color for the numbers.

No comments: