Monday, December 7, 2009

Knit EKG Swatch


This is a swatch I made for a project that has been in my mind for a long time. Originally, I was inspired to make a hat for a drummer. This drummer was quoted as saying that rhythm was everywhere, in heartbeats and handclaps. I later saw a pattern for a heartbeat hat and bought the pattern. However, as a biologist, I wanted to design my own pattern that showed the tracing of a normal EKG pattern. Add to that the fact that I have a friend who is in her final year of nursing school. Finally, she has been studying EKG's this past semester. It was time to knit. I looked at lots of EKG image tracings. This swatch has originally knit in intarsia to show the EKG pattern in the top example. I didn't like the way it looked. Someone else saw it and suggested that the Holbein Stitch (embroidery) would look more like a tracing. He was right. The bottom EKG pattern is in Holbein Stitch. I'll have the hat finished soon.

No comments: