Monday, May 16, 2011

Ok for Cats

New hobby- weaving. As I was "yarn shopping" on Ravelry, I saw a project that had been woven using the yarn I had just purchased. It turns out that self striping and variegated yarns look fabulous when woven. Color banding that does not work so well for knitting can weaves up into interesting stripes and plaid patterns.
I just got a 20" Ashford Knitters Loom, (rigid heddle). I like this as an alternative to knitting. Weaving can be faster for some projects.
Admittedly, I have always been fascinated by weaving. This is the first time I've been able to afford even a beginner level loom.
I have a lot to learn. I spent the weekend with the basics. This initial project measures 13" x 29" just off the loom. It has been fulled and is drying now. The first few inches have lots of mistakes, floats, etc. The cats won't mind. The yarn used was 2 skeins of Patons Soy Wool Stripes. It's a yarn that felts and pills and is too scratchy to go next to the skin. It makes good bags. I carry a bag knit from SWS all the time. I've never used up yarn so quickly. I look forward to doing some color studies.

2 comments:

bunnits said...

That looks great! Weaving is lots of fun and goes quickly. One of my friends has discovered that she can turn out scarves and shawls much more quickly than by knitting them. It's amazing what can be done with a rigid heddle loom, too.

gilding said...

You are EXACTLY in line with my thinking. I appreciate the encouragement.